Men's Heart Health Program
Cardiovascular (heart) disease remains the leading cause of death for men in the United States. Men over the age of 40 have nearly a 50% chance of developing heart disease during their lifetime. Heart disease is a broad term describing processes affecting your heart as well as your arteries. Unfortunately, for many men, recognition of this disease does not occur until the time of their first cardiac event. In fact, half of the men who die suddenly from this disease have no previous symptoms.
The Men’s Heart Health Program is a comprehensive way to prevent, diagnose and treat heart disease in men. The goal of this program is to not only identify and reduce traditional risk factors for heart disease, but also to educate men in the areas of nutrition and exercise.
The International Heart Institute of Montana (IHI) brings together a recognized team of cardiologists, cardiovascular surgeons, mid levels, nurses and researchers to perform the most advanced cardiac procedures and to search for new and improved ways to treat heart disease. IHI is the clinical services arm of St. Patrick Hospital in cardiology and cardiovascular surgery.
Alexander Jehle, MD, Rick McNelis, RN, Christine Bond, Dietician and Donna Fuller, RN all have taken a special interest in men’s heart health. They guide the Men’s Heart Health Program, offering their care and expertise to patients in the program.
Who can participate?
Any man concerned about his heart health
What doe the program involve?
- One Hour Initial Assessment:
- Nurse assessment/education
- Appointment with medical provider to discuss assessment results and make a plan for risk reduction
- Appointment with Exercise Physiologist/Dietician
- Blood work and EKG
- Recommendation as needed for further diagnostic testing or treatment
- Access to cardiology RN/LPN via phone for support, education or questions
- Two month follow-up appointment with medical provider (30 min)
- Periodic invitations to educational, inspirational and fun events (optional)
- Six month final appointment with medical provider, presentation of Certification of Participation and Men’s Heart Health Program gift
How do I get started?
If you are interested in enrolling in the Men’s Heart Health Program, call (406) 329-5615 or Toll Free (877) 444-5615 to make an appointment.
International Heart Institute
500 West Broadway
Missoula, MT 59802