Primary Stroke Center
The Mission of Providence St. Patrick Hospital Stroke Center is to provide our region with the best in stroke care. This includes increasing public awareness and providing appropriate treatment quickly to enhance the quality of life for our patients.
At Providence St. Patrick Hospital, a patient who is suspected of having a stroke or TIA (transient ischemic attack or "mini stroke") is immediately seen by a team of nurses, physicians and technicians. The hospital has a specially trained team of physicians, nurses, therapists and technicians available around the clock to provide rapid diagnosis and treatment using state of the art imaging equipment.
When a patient with stroke symptoms comes to Providence St. Patrick Hospital:
- A trained Stroke Team is available around the clock, seven days a week, to evaluate a stroke patient within 10 minutes of arrival.
- Each patient is evaluated and treated using a set of guidelines that address both emergency treatment and ongoing care.
- A head CT scan can be performed and interpreted within 45 minutes of the stroke patient being admitted.
- A fully functioning medical laboratory is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week to analyze and provide test results in a timely manner.
Providence St. Patrick Hospital provides:
- The latest advances in stroke care, ranging from 'clot-busting' drugs to improved techniques for vascular surgery
- A dedicated stroke nurse who coordinates the care of stroke patients.
- State-of-the-art facilities and the latest technology.
- Outstanding specialists in cardiology and radiology and experts in rehabilitation, nursing and emergency medicine.
- An inpatient stroke unit with specially trained staff to reduce complications of stroke, educate patients and families, provide the latest in stroke management, and work with patients and families to lower the risk of a repeat stroke by providing secondary stroke prevention education and treatment.
St. Patrick Hospital received the 2009 American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines® Stroke Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award. The award recognizes St. Patrick Hospital's commitment and success in implementing excellent care for stroke patients, according to evidence-based guidelines.