Family Maternity Center
With our high-quality and award-winning care, you’ll know that both you and your baby will be in good hands when it’s time to deliver your baby at Providence St. Patrick Hospital.
Unlike other hospitals in Missoula, you’ll labor, deliver and recover in one of our beautifully-decorated Labor, Delivery, Postpartum and Recovery (LDRP) suites. This allows you to settle in and truly make yourself at home. After your baby is born, you can focus on bonding and caring for your baby—as well as your own comfort and care—without having to relocate to a new room. This unique environment promotes the essential initial bonding between you and your baby while also getting personalized care from your OB-GYN, and supports breastfeeding, if you choose.
If a cesarean delivery is required, our dedicated C-section suite is also located within the Family Maternity Center. In most cases, you and your baby will return to your room immediately after the cesarean together to recover and bond.
Medical Care Providers for You and Your Baby
We understand that selecting a provider is a very personal choice—especially when it comes to delivering your children. The relationship created with your care provider throughout your prenatal and delivery experience can last a lifetime. That’s why Providence offers midwifery and obstetrics options to fit your personal care preferences.
At Providence St. Patrick Hospital, our doctors on staff are highly-regarded and sought-after OB-GYNs in Missoula and the Western Montana region, with more than 90 years of proven excellence and compassionate care. Learn More »
Our midwives are nationally certified and licensed. Providence St. Patrick Hospital is the only hospital in Missoula that offers midwife care for in-hospital deliveries. Learn More »
The Family Maternity Center Environment
While the health and safety of you and your baby are always our top priority, we also understand that a relaxing space is essential to a positive birth experience. For this reason, we provide the following amenities:
- Single-patient birthing suites
- Each suite includes a refrigerator, private bathroom and large tub
- LED candles, personal speakers (fit any device with a headphone jack), TV/DVD player and individually controlled lighting and thermostat
- Free Wi-Fi service
- Sleeping sofa for your support person
- Birth support implements, such as birthing balls, peanut balls, back massagers, mirrors, squatting bar and a birth stool
- After the birth of the baby, you and your partner will receive a meal and a celebratory basket
- Lactation specialists to assist with breast-feeding
- State-of-the-art electronic security system
- Reserved parking for mothers in labor | view map »
- Optional photos from a professional local photographer specializing in newborn photography
- And you'll hear chimes ring on the hospital overhead paging system to welcome your baby into the world!
We welcome your personal written or verbalized birth plans, as well as any support you choose to have present, including Birth Doulas.
Pain management during labor
Along with epidurals, we also offer nitrous oxide during labor. This colorless gas is inhaled via a mask, giving you a less invasive option for pain management. Unlike an epidural, nitrous oxide gives you full mobility during all stages of labor, but can also be used with an epidural, if needed. Ask your OB-GYN or midwife to learn more about nitrous oxide. Learn More »
Take a Virtual Tour to Learn More
Want to see it in person? In-person tours are available each Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. Sign up online or call 406-329-5348 to reserve a space or request a different day or time.